If you’re thinking about getting a divorce after the holidays, you’re not alone. Couples tend to try and push through the holidays and then file for a divorce shortly after the season ends. January is often referred to as the start of divorce season by many family law attorneys.
It’s essential to be ready for what’s coming and to speak with an experienced and reputable divorce attorney if you’re at the point where you know you want a divorce.
Facts about divorce:
Understanding common reasons why divorces happen can help you better understand your marriage. If you are trying to fight to keep your marriage going, then knowing the most common reasons for divorce can help.
The following stats are taken from a Forbes Advisor Survey conducted in 2023 to better understand why marriages fail.
- Divorces tend to reach a peak in March and then again in August.
- A single spouse initiates most divorces.
- Divorces tend to occur most often between the third and seventh year of marriage.
- After 10 years of marriage, the divorce rate among couples drops to 4%.
- About half of first marriages end in divorce.
- 34% of those surveyed said their marriage ended due to an affair.
- Lack of compatibility was cited as a top reason why marriages fail in their first year.
- Marriages ending after 9+ years state a lack of intimacy as a top reason for divorce.
Speak with a Florida divorce lawyer
If you have questions about divorce and you want legal guidance from an experienced divorce attorney, contact The Law Offices of Sara J. Singer today.
Call us at 954-527-2855 or message us online for more information.